This week, Dave and Gunnar talk about: Evolution of evolution, skeumorphism (again), Onion Pi, Brick Pi, Red Hat Summit 2013, an interview with Nirmal Mehta and some lessons learned from Google and NSA.
So this is an enormous episode, the longest we’ve done yet. If you just want to hear from Nirmal, jump to 1:00:00. Yes, an hour in. This episode is epic.
- Deepest apologies to Rackspace: it was another user hogging all the swap. Related
- Red Hat Summit keynote and session videos
- Death of skeumorphism: iOS7
- OMB asks for 10% discretionary cut citing redundancy — previous plan was 5%
- This Week in Pi
- Onion Pi
- Gunnar helps out the good people at the Open Technology Fund
- This Week in Panopticon
- Google is different from NSA because one of them has to get a court order. Discuss.
- NSA leak via USB drive. Time for a security check.
- Disable USB in RHEL
- Confine users in RHEL (featuring Dave)
- Google to keep its calendar CalDAV API public after developer backlash, debuts contacts CardDAV API to boot
- Foreign hackers seek a soft target at VA
- Dave gets to say cyber to wind up Gunnar
- Hackers (and proctologists?) type wearing latex gloves (picture of the week runner up)
- A chain is only as strong as the weakest link
- Whatever happened to Google?
- Services from multiple vendors with loose integration better than monolithic tight integration?
- Google buys Waze
- NSA Leaks Present a Business and Ethics Crisis for Silicon Valley
- Google Reader deathwatch: CommaFeed is getting better and better!
- Must see demo video, but seems to only work for Pasadena
- Please vote up Dave’s feature request!
- AFCEA DC Emerging Technologies Symposium 2013 on June 20 in Washington, DC
- Defense in Depth Workshop on June 26 in Tysons Corner, VA
- An award-winning customer we like: Nirmal Mehta of Booz Allen Hamilton
Cutting Room Floor
- What happens when you give a guinea pig a cherry?
- Guinea pig armor
- Atari 2600 Superman
- 49th parallel — border skirmishes waiting to happen: “Canada & The United States: Bizarre Borders Part 2”
We Give Thanks
- Glyn Moody making our day by letting us know about CalDAV’s and CardDAV’s return to Google
- Gunnar’s sister Wendy, for her Guinea Pig enthusiasm.